YOGA PSYCHOLOGY TEACHER TRAINING
200-hour and Advanced 300-hour Certification Courses
A Fresh Perspective on this Modern-Day Right of Passage.
Not Your Ordinary YTT.
The Evolutionary Education® Yoga Psychology Teacher Training (YPTT) is an integrative and innovative program designed to cultivate or compliment your yoga, teaching and/or clinical practice, though it may also serve as the foundation for your greater, transformational journey. Our course focuses on developing skills and philosophies for healthy, inspired living throughout one’s lifetime, and building supportive community to help foster positive, social and environmental change.
While the course caters to everyone’s needs and is open to participants of any age, race, gender, creed, and prior experience, it is especially suited for helping professionals (e.g., counselors, social workers, psychologists, nurses, etc.), educators, parents, spiritual seekers, young adults and those going through transitional periods in life. Though you will learn how to lead a variety of yoga classes (all of which may be tailored to suit your specific areas of interest), it is not required that you teach yoga following the training—we’re more interested in helping you live yoga and share it with the world via leading by example.
The course is currently registered with Yoga Alliance. Upon completion of the 200-hr or advanced 300-hr training, you may register with Yoga Alliance as an RYT 200 and/or RYT 500, which will enable you to teach yoga and meditation internationally. For an application, please visit the Yoga Alliance website.
Students interested in pursuing the advanced 300-hr training should contact us directly with notice of your intent prior to registering for courses in order to develop a plan of action, as much of this training is completed by accumulating hours via participation in individual modules (e.g. Yoga Nidra Teacher Training, etc.) and, in rare instances, accruing hours through other yoga schools. Evolutionary Education® modules eligible for receiving credit toward the advanced 300-hr certification are clearly marked within the event page itself.
Authentic Yoga for Contemporary Life.
This life-changing course is grounded in traditional Indo-Tibetan Hatha Yoga yet incorporates over 30 years of combined experience in the healing arts and psychospiritual investigation. In addition to furthering your knowledge of yoga asana (physical postures), teaching methodology, and anatomy & physiology, you will learn the major theoretical tenets of yoga psychology, including the history of yogic thought and approaches to transformation, as well as a variety of in-depth, experiential techniques so as to create an embodied philosophy. As a natural complement to yoga psychology, expressive arts (e.g., singing, dancing, art-making, etc.) are interwoven throughout the course as a means to facilitating a meditative, community-oriented and positively-charged environment conducive to growth and self-discovery.
Honoring Co-Creation and Flow.
In order to honor the unique perspective that each participant brings to the group, the YPTT is largely co-creative. While each session has a specific theme, there is a general curriculum in place, and some sessions are ‘fixed,’ many sessions embrace ‘going with the flow,’ which helps to sustain both a dynamic learning environment and a welcoming, retreat-like atmosphere. While we do our best to draw from a wide breadth of yogic styles, you should anticipate a strong emphasis on meditation, breathwork, and working with subtle energies vis-à-vis the Tantric/Kundalini yoga tradition (though we are not affiliated with the 3HO Kundalini Yoga organization), as well as ample opportunities for self-directed study and teaching practicum. The course also draws from humanistic and transpersonal psychology, incorporating elements of counseling theory and trauma-informed, evidence-based approaches to wellness and prevention.
Join Our Growing Network of Teachers.
In addition to receiving your 200-hr certificate of completion upon successful fulfillment of the course requirements, participants will also gain access to the Evolutionary Education® Teacher’s Community Facebook Group and may list themselves on the Evolutionary Education® Teacher Directory.
Though the format varies from course to course (see Events (link here) to find the right course for you), below is a sample schedule, keeping in mind that there is considerable variation in course content from day to day. All sessions will begin on time but may extend a few minutes beyond the end time as needed. Short breaks are woven into the sessions roughly every hour. Please do your best to clear your schedule on class days in order to facilitate maximum flexibility.
8:00am-9:00am: Pranayama & Meditation
9:00am-12:00pm: Asana Clinic; Teaching Skills; Discussion; Q & A; Practicum
1:00pm-6:00pm: Yoga Nidra/Meditation; Teaching Skills; Discussion; Q & A; Practicum
• Minimum 6 months of yoga experience or by teacher’s permission
• A sincere desire to expand your yogic horizons and practice within an intimate setting
• Acceptance to the program is based upon approval of your application
• Indo-Tibetan Hatha Yoga (incl. Asana, Pranayam, Mudra, Bandha, Mantra, Kriya, etc.)
• Taoist Yin & Yang Yoga
• Vinyasa Yoga
• Restorative Yoga
• Yoga Nidra
• Dream Yoga
• Yogic Philosophy incl. History, Morals & Ethics, etc.
• Tantric & Taoist theory, incl. Subtle Energy Systems (Chakras, Nadis, Kundalini, etc.)
• Transpersonal Psychology & Consciousness Studies
• Neurodharma (The Brain Science of Transformation)
• Intuitive & Empathic Development
• Ayurveda, Nutrition & Detoxification
• Anatomy & Physiology
• Laughter Yoga & Expressive Arts
• Ethical Standards for Teachers
• Teaching to Trauma-Sensitive & Special Populations
• Business & Entrepreneurial Guidance
• Discover and nurture your authentic voice, passion, and unique gifts as a teacher
• Develop confidence, clarity, technical precision and a strong philosophical foundation
• Study postures suitable for a variety of populations, including alignment and variations
• Learn hands-on assists, corrections, contraindications and how to use props
• Review basic anatomy and physiology as related to physical, mental and subtle bodies
• Receive Yoga Nidra, guided meditation, breathwork, and visualization practices
• Explore subtle energy systems including chakras, nadis, kundalini, and the five koshas
• Address lifestyle choices that support your yoga practice and holistic health
• Engage in stimulating discussion, question & answer and journaling exercises
• Connect and collaborate with a supportive community of like-minded yogis
• Strengthen your will, heal your body, and generate compassion for yourself and others
• Raise your ceiling for personal growth and learn to stay inspired for the rest of your life
Tuition, including application fees, payment plans, cancellation and refund policies, etc. vary by course.
To learn more, please visit the specific course you’re interested in applying for via our Events page.
Certification is based on the performance and demonstration of your skills garnered, teaching ability, mental and emotional maturity, and satisfactory completion of all assignments. To become certified in this course, you must demonstrate a basic understanding and integration of the yoga practices, philosophy, languaging, and other teaching methodologies. You must also:
• Be able to perform basic asanas with integration, precision, and awareness
• Successfully complete all course assignments, including homework and required reading
• Sign and abide by the code of ethics agreement during and after the training
• Pay all fees and outstanding balances
• Have full attendance, participation, and a yogic mindset
When all of the above is achieved, you will be certified as an Evolutionary Education® Yoga Instructor.
At the start of the program you will be asked to sign a written agreement detailing your responsibilities as a student and the standards used to assess your eligibility for certification.
Evolutionary Education® reserves the right to revoke your certification at any time if it is deemed that your conduct is in violation of the code of ethics or the standards befitting a yoga instructor within our organization.